Dynamic Escapes will be hosting a 2023 Tanzania Astronomy Trip to view the Perseid Meteor Shower and Serengeti’s Great Migration.
Dynamic Escapes has planned a small group trip (max 12 plus trip leader and guides) to Tanzania in August of 2023, timed to match the Perseid meteor shower and new moon. This is a great opportunity to enjoy and photograph dark skies during the Serengeti’s Great Migration.
Lauren Rock, owner of Dynamic Escapes, commented about the excursion, “We are a small boutique travel planning company. One of my specialties is finding ways to combine astronomy with travel, especially for my amateur astronomer husband (Jarad Schiffer). We recently returned from Tanzania, home to Bortle Class 1 skies and a first-class safari destination! It was an amazing experience that we are excited to share with fellow astronomy and wildlife enthusiasts.”
She continued, “I have planned a trip to combine the Perseid meteor shower with the world’s largest movement of animals, the Serengeti’s Great Migration. This is a great opportunity to experience this stellar event in a whole new way under some of the darkest skies in the world! See the stars and showcase objects of the Southern Hemisphere by night and see amazing wildlife on safari by day. We will be joined by Jarad, who has 20+ years of public star party experience, along with his 12” Dobsonian travel telescope. Join us on a small group trip to Tanzania August 9-18, 2023 to enjoy and photograph dark skies and wonderful animals!
During the Tanzania Astronomy Trip attendees tour participants will have the opportunity to:
– Witness the world’s largest animal migration as more than 2 million wildebeest, zebra and gazelle species cross the Serengeti.
– Look for big cats as lions, cheetahs and leopards join other predators.
– By night, enjoy the Perseid meteor shower, the Milky Way, and the constellations and stars of the Southern Hemisphere under some of the darkest skies in the world (Bortle Class 1)!
– Stay in the heart of the national parks having exclusive use of luxury safari camps.
– By day go on game drives with expert guides and spotters from Topguides Safaris, native Tanzanians with many years of experience.
– Once darkness falls, view the Milky Way, constellations, and stars of the Southern Hemisphere through our 12” telescope (or bring your own!). Avid amateur astronomer Jarad Schiffer will be your nighttime astronomy guide. He has been giving public star parties for over 20 years. You can learn more about him on his Cloudy Nights page.
The trip itinerary includes:
– August 9, 2023: Arrive at Kilimanjaro airport (JRO). Private transport to the Gran Melia Arusha.
– August 10: Guided walking safari in Arusha National Park. Overnight at Gran Melia Arusha. [B]
– August 12: Full day game drive in Tarangire National Park. Evening sky viewing and Perseid meteor shower. Overnight at Lolkisale. [FBA]
– August 13: Chance to sleep in! Drive to Plantation Lodge, which will be our home base for exploring Ngorongoro Crater. [FBA]
– August 14: Full day game drive in Ngorongoro Crater. Overnight at Plantation Lodge. [FBA]
– August 16-17: Daytime game drives across the Serengeti to witness the Great Migration. Nighttime stargazing. Overnights at Osero camp. [FBA]
– August 18: Charter flight back to Arusha. Transfer to Gran Melia for day use (eat, relax, shower). Transfer to Kilimanjaro airport for return flight. [DR]
– Optional add-on excursions:
- Hiking and camping on Mt. Kilimanjaro.
- Forest treks to see chimpanzees or mountain gorillas in Uganda.
- Swim/snorkel/scuba at the beautiful beaches on Zanzibar or along the Tanzanian coast.
The cost of the trip includes the following:
– All hotels and accommodations
– In-country transportation and flights
– Private guides and park rangers
– Park and conservation fees
– Laundry service at select camps
– Snacks and drinks during game drives
– All safari activities as listed
– Flying Doctors coverage for emergency evacuation while on safari only
– Meals and drinks as indicated each day: [B] = Breakfast included, [FBA] = Full Board All-inclusive – breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and standard drinks including water, soda, juice, beer, house wine and spirits, [DR] = Day room use only, no meals.
You can learn more about the Tanzania Astronomy Trip here.
And to make it easier for you to get the most extensive news, articles and reviews that are only available in the magazine pages of Astronomy Technology Today, we are offering a 1 year magazine subscription for only $6! Or, for an even better deal, we are offering 2 years for only $9. Click here to get these deals which only will be available for a very limited time. You can also check out a free sample issue here.