The new Orion EON 80 ED Apochromatic Refractor offers amazing optics and high quality modern machining and features, all for a very affordable price.
The refractor builds on Orion’s ED80 doublet, which has been in their lineup for the past two decades. But, as the Orion team notes, “That 5-star refractor was frankly beginning to show its age when compared with modern refractors that include more accoutrements and features. This new doublet refractor delivers on that promise of an affordable Apo with all the modern features you might want.”
The Orion EON 80 ED Apochromatic Refractor now offers a dual-speed 2″ Rack and Pinion focuser, with a bias cut on the rack for backlash free operation. It also includes a 2″-1.25″ step down adapter, as well as a finder scope dovetail shoe with dual lock knobs.
Also included are felt-lined tube rings and a 136mm long Vixen dovetail rail. Threaded holes on top allow the addition of accessories such as guide scopes and rails. On the bottom there is a slot in the Vixen rail to adjust the tube ring spacing, along with a ¼”-20 threaded socket which also allows attachment to standard photo tripods.
The 80mm f/7 doublet (560mm focal length) is made apochromatic by the inclusion of an Fk-61 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens element which helps eliminates false color, even on bright stars and planets. Measuring in at 17.25″ long when the dew shield is retracted, this powerful little telescope is extremely portable.
The Orion EON 80 ED Apochromatic Refractor specifications include:
– Optical design: Refractor
– Optical diameter: 80mm
– Focal length: 560mm
– Focal ratio: f/7.0
– Coatings: Fully multi-coated
– Optics type: Air-spaced doublet
– Glass material: Fk61
– Resolving power: 1.45arc*sec
– Lowest useful magnification: 12x
– Highest useful magnification: 160x
– Highest theoretical magnification: 160x
Limiting stellar magnitude: 12.2
– Optical quality: Diffraction limited
– Focuser: 2″ dual-speed Rack-and-pinion
– Mount type: Optical Tube without Mount
– Astro-imaging capability: Lunar, planetary & long exposure
– Backfocus distance: 153.0mm
– Tube material: Aluminum
– Length of optical tube: 17.3 in.
– Weight, optical tube: 6.4 lbs.
– Additional included accessories: 2″ – 1.25″ eyepiece adapter, Felt lined tube rings, Machined Vixen dovetail bar
– Other features: One ED element in apochromatic objective lens, 2″ Rack and Pinion focuser, Dual Speed 10:1 reduction focusing
You can learn more about the Orion EON 80 ED Apochromatic Refractor here.
And to make it easier for you to get the most extensive news, articles and reviews that are only available in the magazine pages of Astronomy Technology Today, we are offering a 1 year magazine subscription for only $6! Or, for an even better deal, we are offering 2 years for only $9. Click here to get these deals which only will be available for a very limited time. You can also check out a free sample issue here.