The creators of the MOAP telescope piers has developed a new publication, “Telescope Piers: High Performance DIY Piers and Foundations” which is now available as an e-book.
The Telescope Piers book was created on the author’s experience with over 550 building projects across four continents. It is more specifically based upon their vast element analysis of many telescope piers and parametric investigation to tune pier designs for maximum performance.
As the MOAP team notes, “You would never tell your spouse, ‘you barely met my minimum requirements’ or, ‘your defects were acceptable.’ You shouldn’t have to speak of your pier that way either. It’s about getting the most out of whatever path we take to hold up our mounts. Our goal is simply to minimize deflection as effectively as we can. There are several things we can do to improve performance and they often cost less and save effort over what we may have preconceived. This book identifies things that work in our favor and things that work against us. Then, you decide what works best for you.”
Among the topics covered are:
– Everything you need to design and build a high-performance telescope pier.
– How stiff should a pier be?
– “I feel the Earth move under my feet” – Carol King. How to tame it.
– Getting the most of what you put in the ground.
– Simple tricks to make your pier stiffer than anything you can buy (except MOAPs)
– Component sizing and material selection
– Things to never do.
– Things to always do.
– The secret weapon of DIY base plates.
– How much is it moving? Deflection tables for steel and concrete.
– Foundation types and why one beats the others.
– Reinforcing made simple. What’s really needed.
– One pour or two?
– Where to form and what with.
– Where the bending is really happening.
– 3 critical things for minimizing steel pier deflection.
– 9 factors for embedded piers
– The rat cage is killing us. How to eliminate it.
– Design tips and tricks to minimize your wiggle.
– No welder? No problem.
– Dispelling concrete myths.
You can learn more about the Telescope Piers e-book here.
And to make it easier for you to get the most extensive news, articles and reviews that are only available in the magazine pages of Astronomy Technology Today, we are offering a 1 year magazine subscription for only $6! Or, for an even better deal, we are offering 2 years for only $9. Click here to get these deals which only will be available for a very limited time. You can also check out a free sample issue here.