The new Orion SkyScanner BL102mm TableTop Dobsonian Telescope is now available from Orion Telescopes and Binoculars. The entry level telescope offers a compact, user-friendly design with simple up-down and left-right motion (“alt-azimuth”). The optical tube rotates smoothly in both axes, and each has a tension adjustment knob to let you set just the right amount of friction.
Optically, the SkyScanner BL 102mm TableTop Reflector has a 102mm (4″) aperture primary mirror with a 640mm focal length (f/6.3). That means you’ll get bright, wide-field views that are easier to locate than with longer focal length telescopes. The included interchangeable 25mm Kellner and 10mm Plossl eyepieces provide 26x and 64x magnifying power, respectively that offer barrels that are threaded to accept optional Orion 1.25″ filters.
Also included is a 3x Barlow lens, which triples the magnification of any eyepiece it’s used with. It’s a great tool for getting in tight on your observing target. The non-magnifying red dot finder scope makes aiming the telescope a cinch. And to aid in your viewing of the most favorite celestial objects – the Moon – Orion is including the Orion MoonMap 260. It shows the locations and names of over 260 features on the Moon such as craters, mountains, valleys, and “seas”.
The Orion SkyScanner BL102mm TableTop Dobsonian specifications include:
– Optical diameter: 102mm
– Focal length: 640mm
– Focal ratio: f/6.3
– Optics type: Spherical
– Glass material: Soda-lime plate
– Eyepieces: Kellner 25.0mm, Plossl 10.0mm (1.25″)
– Magnification with included eyepieces: 26x, 64x
– Resolving power: 1.14arc*sec
– Lowest useful magnification: 15x
– Highest useful magnification: 204x
– Highest theoretical magnification: 204x
– Limiting stellar magnitude: 12.7
– Finder scope: Reflex sight
– Focuser: 1.25″ Rack-and-pinion
– Secondary mirror obstruction: 31mm
– Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 31%
– Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 9%
– Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
– Mount type: Dobsonian
– Tube material: Steel
– Length of optical tube: 21.5 in.
– Weight, fully assembled: 10.4 lbs.
– Additional included accessories: 3x Barlow lens, MoonMap 260, Dual Phillips/Flat screwdriver
– Other features: Eyepiece rack, Adjustable altitude and azimuth tension knobs, Center-marked primary mirror for collimation
You can learn more about the Orion SkyScanner BL102mm TableTop Dobsonian here.
And to make it easier for you to get the most extensive news, articles and reviews that are only available in the magazine pages of Astronomy Technology Today, we are offering a 1 year magazine subscription for only $6! Or, for an even better deal, we are offering 2 years for only $9. Click here to get these deals which only will be available for a very limited time. You can also check out a free sample issue here.