The Stellarvue SVX102D is the first doublet the company has offered in many years and will be hitting the market towards the end of 2021. This new doublet meets all of the quality and production standards of the flagship Stellarvue SVX triplet series, and as with any SVX-branded telescopes, they are all being optically figured in house by Stellarvue.
The doublet-version of this scope will offer the same 0.99-0.996 Strehl rating as the SVX triplets, and it will be made with the same processes to eliminate trefoil and spherical error. At f/7 and 102mm it shares all the same specs as the triplet SVX102T and includes the same aluminum tube and 3” focuser design.
Due to the simpler optical configuration Stellarvue is able to offer the Stellarvue SVX102D for significantly less than the triplets, making this scope a great option for monochromatic astrophotography or as the perfect grab-and-go option for visual astronomy. Each SVX102D refractor comes with tube rings, a heavy duty case, and a Zygo interferometric test report taken at full aperture in Stellarvue’s shop to document the accuracy of these completed objectives.
The Stellarvue SVX102D is part of Stellarvue’s introduction of the highest performing 4″ and 5″ doublet apos they have ever made. These limited runs of the new SVX series doublets are made with super low-dispersion and lanthanum elements. Every objective is precisely figured in their optical shop until it reaches .99 Strehl or better. This entire process takes about a year to complete with six months spent figuring each lens to perfection.
Stellarvue is now taking $500 deposits for this SVX102D which is priced at $1895 with a Stellarvue 3″ dual speed, high capacity focuser. The balance is due when the telescope is finished and ready to ship.
What’s included with this high-performance, lightweight 4” (101.5mm) f-7 (714mm focal length) air-spaced apo doublet?
– Your choice of either a Stellarvue 3″ focuser or an optional 3″ Feather Touch focuser.
– 2″ and 1.25″ compression ring adapters
– Heavy duty CNC machined mounting rings
– FB finder scope dovetail mounting base
As the Stellarvue team notes: “These SVX series optics are rated at .99 – .996 Strehl with excellent optical correction of aberrations commonly seen in mass-produced optics. Bringing our optical figuring in house, we have reduced spherical error, astigmatism, coma and trefoil by a factor of five. To reach this level of consistent optical accuracy, we must go beyond machine polishing. Our experienced opticians use specially made tools to hand-figure objectives here in our optical shop in Auburn, CA. Stellarvue Premier (SVX) Series refractors are specifically made for the astronomer who recognizes the best when they see it. Each SVX102D refractor will come with a color Zygo interferometric test report taken at full aperture in our shop, documenting the accuracy of your completed objective.”
Stellarvue SVX102D specifications include:
– Focuser: Comes standard with a Stellarvue 3″ dual speed, rack and pinion focuser.
– Objective Lens: 101.5mm clear aperture, 714mm focal length (f-7), air spaced apochromatic doublet using a super low dispersion element with a matching Lanthanum element.
– Light Gain: 213X (human eye = 1)
– Tube Assembly: Lightweight, fully baffled, aluminum tube and dew shield. Painted ultra-flat black inside. 105mm diameter main tube.
– Dew Shield: 4-3/4” diameter, 8-5/16” long retracting aluminum dew shield with cap.
– Coatings: Extreme broadband, full multi-coatings on each surface transmit more than 99.5% in the visual spectrum and far above and below it. The reason to extend beyond the visual spectrum has to do with imaging. CCD and CMOS detectors in cameras record beyond the visual spectrum. Broadband, full multi-coatings eliminate unwanted reflections seen on CCD images taken through telescopes that have inferior coatings.
– Dimensions: With the dew shield retracted the telescope is 21 1/2″ long. This is airline carry-on size for most aircraft. With the dew shield extended, the length is about 26 1/2″. If traveling by air and the airline has a shorter carry-on length the focuser may be unthreaded by hand reducing the length to about 17 1/2″.
– Weight: About 9 pounds with 2” adapter and 1 1/4″ adapter. Rings weigh .9 pounds each.
– Aluminum Hinged Rings: The telescope is supplied with Stellarvue’s CNC aluminum mounting rings. Each ring has five threaded holes top and bottom. Threaded holes are 1/4-20. There is one center hole, two holes spaced 1.5″ apart, and two holes spaced 60mm apart. Use the optional TP010 rail for telescope mounts using the Vixen style rail, or the optional TP009 for mounts that use the larger Losmandy style rail.
You can learn more about the Stellarvue SVX102D here.
And to make it easier for you to get the most extensive news, articles and reviews that are only available in the magazine pages of Astronomy Technology Today, we are offering a 1 year magazine subscription for only $6! Or, for an even better deal, we are offering 2 years for only $9. Click here to get these deals which only will be available for a very limited time. You can also check out a free sample issue here.