The iOptron GEM28 and GEM28EC are new compact next-generation German equatorial mounts that, like their predecessors, are designed with portability in mind. Weighing in at only 10 lbs. these mounts can support up to a 28lb payload offering an incredible 2.8 mount weight to payload ratio.
iOptron achieved this functionality using design methods developed to reduce mount mass on their GEM family of mounts. The German EQ versions were created to satisfy consumers that prefer a more traditional mount and or those who need a mount that functions at higher latitudes (Over 60°).
Building on the legacy of the earlier GEM models, iOptron has added a number of features for convenience and functionality. These include a positive lock gear engagement system (easy to use even when wearing gloves); built-in Wi-Fi enabling unparalleled connectivity and recordable permanent periodic error correction (PPEC) to repeat optimal PEC training sessions (real time PEC on the GEM28EC). Both the GEM28 and GEM28EC deliver precise pointing and accurate tracking (PE <0/3 arcsec RMS on the EC model). An onboard 212,000 object library ensures you’ll never run out of targets to see or image.
Features of the iOptron GEM28 mounts include:
– German equatorial design, latitude range of 10° to 70°
– Ideal for both visual observation and astrophotography
– Large easy to use quick-lock gear clutches
– Integrated iPolar electronic polar finder (optional visual polarscope available)
– Max payload of 28 lbs. (12.7 kg) with the mount weight of only 10 lbs. (4.5kg)
– Precision stepper motor for precise GOTO and accurate tracking
– Go2Nova 8409 controller with advanced GOTONOVA GOTO technology
– PEC +/- 10 arc-sec (GEM28), <.3 arc-sec rms (GEM28EC)
– Permanent PEC (PPEC) GEM28, real time PEC (RPEC) GEM28EC
– Integrated ST-4 auto guiding port
– Built-in Wi-Fi
– Available with 1.5″ standard or 1.75″ LiteRoc tripod
You can learn more You can learn more here.
And to make it easier for you to get the most extensive news, articles and reviews that are only available in the magazine pages of Astronomy Technology Today, we are offering a 1 year magazine subscription for only $6! Or, for an even better deal, we are offering 2 years for only $9. Click here to get these deals which only will be available for a very limited time. You can also check out a free sample issue here.