At just 422 grams (14.9 ounces), Vixen’s Atera Vibration-Cancelling Binocular ($649US) is lighter than most similarly-equipped options and will provide hours of great views, up to 12 hours of on time, in fact, from just two typical AAA batteries. This big performer in a tiny package will provide enjoyable lunar views, excellent birding, nd -close views of sporting events.
Of course, the highlight of Vixen Optics Atera’s highlight feature is its vibration-canceling system, which delivers a constantly-stable field of view by correcting for fine movements of the hand-held binocular body. To maximize battery life, the binocular includes a setting that automatically switches power off after five minutes.
All lens surfaces are fully-multicoated for high throughput and contrast, and its prisms are treated with phase-coatings to dramatically improve resolution by reducing halation and dielectric high-reflectivity coatings to maximize reflection to produce clearer and brighter views.
The Atera Vibration Cancelling Binocular employs two vibration-cancellation mechanisms to reduce vibration. The prisms are each located at a gimbal rotation base, which moves both horizontally and vertically. View-degrading vibrations are cancelled by keeping the prisms still with respect to the housing’s vibrations. A sensor detects movement and moves each prism in the direction needed to offset vibrations of the binocular body and thus maintain a stable field of view.
This neat little binocular was designed to be used at 12x magnification without needing tripod. With two hands, a user can hold it more securely but thanks to its vibration cancellation function, the moon can be observed with just one hand with magnification of 12x. Steady views of craters are easily visible (and enjoyable for long shake free periods of viewing).
– Magnification: 12x.
– Objective Lens: 30 mm.
– Prisms: BK7 Subsidiary Prism, BaK4 Roof Prism.
– Coatings: Fully Multi Coated. Phase Coated, High Reflectivity Coating.
– Real Field of View: 4.2 degrees.
– Apparent Field of View: 47.5 degrees.
– Field at 1000 meters: 73 meters.
– Exit Pupil: 2.5 mm.
– Brightness: 6.3.
– Eye Relief: 17.5 mm.
– Near Focus: Approximately 2.5 meters.
– Interpupillary Distance: 55 to 75 mm.
– Anti-Vibration: Vibration canceller with auto power-off (after 5 minutes without motion).
– Vibration Correction Range: About +-3 degrees.
– Battery Duration: Approximately 12 hours (two AAA Alkaline Batteries at 2º C).
– Weight: 422 grams.
– Size: 14.9 by 10.8 by 6.2 centimeters.
– Accessories: Soft case, neck strap, two included AAA batteries.